Friday, November 14, 2003

I Remember

Matt (Yoshio) Matsui
October 8, 1914 – November 11, 2003

I remember my Uncle Matt, with a “Matsui” smile.
I remember the wonders of the “bike shop”, treasures piled all around.
I remember my first shiny new bike, a CCM Mustang, assembled with love.
I remember hockey sticks and skates sharpened, just right.
I remember badminton, Stan Smith sneakers and Carlton racquets strung very tight.
I remember a summer working at “Grove Cycle” for my first “ten speed” a copper coloured Peugeot, that I rode everywhere I could.
I remember “Mochi Tsuki” that brought us all together every December, Uncle Matt with headband on, pounding the rice.
I remember as a teen-age boy, being beaten at badminton, by my Uncle Matt, forty years my senior, but crafty and gracious in victory.
I remember parking at the shop, my first year of University, coming back to a sandwich from Auntie, and words of encouragement from Uncle.
I remember my Uncle Matt, every time I see a bicycle, a skate being sharpened, a racquet being strung, I remember.
With Love, his nephew
Arthur Lloyd Matsui

Remember the days of long ago;
think about the generations past.
Ask your father and he will inform you.
Inquire of your elders, and they will tell you.
Deu 32:7

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home